- Founded
- 1904 – 1932
- Country
- United Kingdom
Calthorpe grew from George William Hands's Birmingham cycle businesses. Hands and Cake became Bard Cycle Manufacturing Company in 1897, Minstrel Cycle Company in 1901 and then Minstrel and Rea Cycle Company. Hands announced his first Calthorpe motor car in 1904. Surviving sources conflict over whether that 10 hp shaft-drive car used a 1,530 cc twin or a Fafnir four-cylinder, so the discrepancy is preserved. A June 1905 fire badly damaged the shared Barn Street works. Car manufacture expanded through 16 hp and two distinct 12/14 generations, then the admired 16/20 introduced in 1907. Its early roughly 2.85-litre Alpha engine came from Johnson, Hurley and Martin's Coventry works; stroke enlargement for 1909 produced about 3.26 litres. Reliability trials, Brooklands appearances and repeated French Coupe de l'Auto entries established a sporting reputation even without major international victories. Brief large models included the 28/40, 25, 15 and 20 hp, but carefully finished light cars remained the core. Production moved to Cherrywood Road, Bordesley Green, while bicycles and motorcycles remained associated with Barn Street. Calthorpe Motor Co (1912) Ltd formalized a reorganized company with Hands and other directors. The 1913–15 10/12 Minor was a conventional but unusually complete small car—four-cylinder side-valve engine, three-speed gearbox and shaft drive—that looked like a large car in miniature. First World War work included Admiralty electrical mines and grenades, interrupting cars. The Minor returned in 1919 as the larger 1,261 cc 10.4 hp and evolved into the 10/15 and 1,327 cc 10/20. Calthorpe acquired adjacent coachbuilder Mulliners in 1917, enabling especially handsome aluminium two- and four-seat sporting bodies as well as saloons, tourers and cabriolets. A target of fifty cars weekly was discussed in 1920, but it should not be read as achieved output. Woolf Barnato and others raced Calthorpes at Brooklands. The technically ambitious 1,496 cc 12/20 used a four-speed unit gearbox and later detachable head. Hands left briefly in 1922 to build Hands cars, then returned by 1924 with six-cylinder work that fed the rare overhead-cam 12/20 Series III and 1,991 cc 15/45. The proposed or exceptionally scarce 12/25 also illustrates how catalog evidence can exceed proven series manufacture. Receivership arrived in 1924; the main Bordesley Green factory closed and limited assembly or stock sales lingered. The expensive six-cylinder strategy could not save the marque. Roughly 5,000 postwar cars are reported, prewar output is unknown, and fewer than ten complete cars may survive. Automobile sales had virtually ceased by 1928, though limited records extend models or corporate activity to 1932. The related Calthorpe motorcycle business, begun under Minstrel and Rea around 1909, continued separately through liquidation, later Ivory Calthorpe production and a brief postwar revival; its many two-wheel models do not become car rows. Nineteen principal automobile families account for the full recoverable car catalog while keeping repeated ratings separated by engine and period and grouping ordinary body or engine revisions within their true chassis lineage.
Text adapted from “Calthorpe” on Wikipedia ↗ · CC BY-SA 4.0 ↗