- Founded
- 1909 – 1922
- Headquarters
- Berlin, Germany
Sigmund Bergmann's Bergmann Elektrizitätswerke established a dedicated Berlin automobile operation in 1909 after arranging a German manufacturing license with Belgian luxury-car maker Métallurgique; Duke Ludwig in Bavaria helped broker the relationship and served on the supervisory board. The cars were marketed under the combined Bergmann-Metallurgique identity and initially followed Belgian designs without substantial alteration, ranging from compact four-cylinder 6/14 and 8/16 types to large 19/50, 29/70 and 60/80 PS luxury and competition cars. A 5.7-litre Prinz-Heinrich competition specification reflected the marque's sporting ambitions, while the characteristic pointed radiator linked the German products visually to their Belgian source. Bergmann also built electric commercial vehicles under Fulgura identity and developed petrol trucks, including wartime army vehicles, but those are not passenger-car model duplicates. Civilian car production stopped during the First World War. After the war Métallurgique withdrew its license; Bergmann assembled only a few cars from remaining prewar parts under the shorter Bergmann name before motor-vehicle production ended in 1922. The combined marque catalog therefore covers the documented licensed passenger-car specifications through 1914 and leaves Belgian Métallurgique models and postwar Bergmann remnants with their own identities.
Text adapted from “Bergmann-Metallurgique” on Wikipedia ↗ · CC BY-SA 4.0 ↗